Marines are trained to be elite soldiers, and that naturally requires that they’re in exceptional shape. Whether you’re planning on joining the U.S. Marine Corps or simply looking for a high-octane workout routine, these Marine Corps exercises are some of the most intense regimens out there.
Basic training to join the Marines requires that trainees take a rigorous 13-week course. Not everyone who signs up is able to complete the entire 13 weeks, due largely in part to the intensity of the exercises.
As you can imagine, following the Marine workout routine to a T isn’t practical for the average fitness enthusiast. However, you can borrow bits and pieces to form an effective workout that fits your lifestyle.
Here are five Marine-inspired exercises for you to try:
The pull-up is one of the most common exercises in military settings. While you probably won’t have a drill sergeant to motivate you, a gym buddy can do the job. This notorious Marine Corps exercise incorporates an upper-body compound movement that works your back, arms, and shoulders simultaneously. It also gets your heart pumping fast, making it an effective cardio exercise too.
How to do it:
- Start by hanging from the bar using an overhand grip
- Pull yourself up slowly until your chest nearly reaches the bar and your chin hovers over it
- Try to lead with your chest, keep your body still, and avoid swinging your legs
- Lower yourself slowly back to starting position
- Repeat until you can’t continue
- Experiment with bending your knees. You might find that it’s more comfortable.
- Start the exercise as soon as you grab the bar. Letting your arms relax makes it more difficult to begin.
- Try using pull-up straps to relieve strain on your grip.
- Try widening or moving your grip together to work other muscles.
- Try our Intra Flight supplement; it’s perfect for pull-ups. It’s scientifically engineered to help you power through the most grueling exercises, get a stronger pump, and recover rapidly.
The companion exercise to pull-ups, push-ups are traditionally less of a Marine workout routine – and more commonly known as a punishment. It’s convenient as an immediate punishment because it can be performed immediately with no equipment required. You can enjoy the same benefits from the comfort of your own home.
Marine push-ups are a far cry from the typical push-up you’ll see at the gym. Of course, you’re welcome to do the classic push-up, but if you really want to kick your routine into overdrive, give the Marine push-up a try.
How to do it:
- Start laying face down with your body touching the floor.
- Place your legs and feet together.
- Place your hands directly under your shoulders.
- Start on the ground, and push your body up until your arms are fully extended.
- Go back down, and allow your chest to briefly, lightly touch the floor.
- Perform the move again. One Marine push-up is based on a four-count: lower, lift, lower, and lift.
3. Sandbag Deadlift
Marines use sandbags for their lifting exercises, but you can substitute a dumbbell if you don’t have a spare bag of sand kicking around.
How to do it:
To perform this strength-building Marine workout routine, place both hands under the top of the weight, and keep your arms hanging down in front of you. With your shoulders back and your chest up, slowly lower your whole body until the weight touches the floor, and then stand back up.
Before attempting an extreme exercise, it’s always a smart idea to take a pre-workout supplement. Our Flight formula is truly a cut above the rest, so order it with full confidence.
Crunches are the best Marine corps exercises for working on your abdomen. You can do them anywhere, and they’re fantastic for strengthening your core, which naturally helps to improve your balance, posture, and overall athletic ability. This is one Marine workout routine you can easily incorporate into your daily routine.
How to do it:
- Lie on your back
- Keep your knees bent and your feet flat on the floor, hip-width apart
- Place your hands behind your head with your thumbs behind your ears. Don’t interlace your fingers.
- Pull yours abs inward gently.
- Curl up and forward, lifting your head, neck, and shoulders off the ground.
- Maintain the position for a moment, and then lower yourself down slowly.
If you want to do crunches like the Marines, you’re going to need to boost your speed and endurance. The Marine Physical Fitness Test requires that recruits do 100 crunches in two minutes. Of course, you shouldn’t expect to hit that number right off the bat. Start small, and increase your speed and count as you go.
Being able to run long distances quickly is an essential skill for Marines. You can choose whether you want to go for a run around your neighborhood or hit the treadmill. The Marine Physical Fitness test requires that male recruits run three miles in 18 minutes and that female recruits run three miles in 21 minutes.
Of course, you may not be able to hit those numbers right off the bat, and that’s okay. You’re not a Marine after all. Your goal is to use these Marine corps exercises as inspiration. Eventually you may be able to achieve similar results, but that shouldn’t be your focus.
Here are some tips to help you improve your running speed and distance:
- Focus on one or the other. Dial back the speed and focus on running for longer. Or, try quick sprints at your fastest speed. Eventually you will be able to combine them more effectively.
- Stretch. Not only does stretching prevent soreness the next day, but it also allows you to reach your full potential.
- Track your performance. Use a fitness computer or smartphone app to keep track of your progress. Keep trying to push yourself.
- Take the right supplements. Taking fitness supplements really helps you to take your Marine workout routine to the next level. You can start by supercharging your workouts with our Strong Greens Superfood powder. Be sure to check out our other supplements to find the perfect option that works for your needs.
Boost Your Performance with Quality Supplements
These powerful Marine corps exercises can help you gain noticeable results fast. Using our supplements gets you there faster. We’re known throughout the global fitness community for our exceptional quality and label transparency, so place your order with full confidence. We proudly offer a military discount for those who are serving or who have served the country. Browse our high-performance products online now.