Peppermint Protein Oreo Brownies
¾ cup (90g) all-purpose flour
1 ½ scoops (50g) BPN fudge chocolate whey protein powder
½ cup (50g) cocoa powder
¼ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
1 tbsp instant espresso (optional but brings out the chocolate flavor)
1 whole egg
½ cup sugar-free maple syrup (or honey / regular maple syrup)
⅔ cup (150g) nonfat greek yogurt
6 tbsp (84g) light butter*
2 tbsp (30g) chocolate chips
¼ tsp peppermint extract**
1 scoop (34g) BPN fudge chocolate whey protein powder
2 tbsp. (10g) unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tbsp (30g) melted chocolate chips
¼ cup (60g) sugar-free maple syrup
1-2 crushed candy canes (sprinkled over the top)
*Light butter has just 4 grams of fat per tablespoon compared to 11 grams in regular butter. It can be found in the grocery with the traditional butter. If you prefer, you can use regular butter or even coconut oil, but it will increase fat/calories.
**Peppermint extract is very strong. ¼ tsp will be plenty to flavor them. Add more if desired to taste, but don’t add too much.
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Add all dry ingredients to a large bowl (flour, protein, cocoa, baking powder, salt, and espresso powder). Mix.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together all wet ingredients (egg, sugar-free syrup, greek yogurt, light butter, and peppermint extract. Combine wet and dry ingredients and gently fold together. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Spray a 9x9 baking pan with nonstick spray. Pour batter into the pan and bake at 350F for 25-27 minutes. The edges will be set and the center slightly under-done.
- While cooling, mix the chocolate ganache topping. Once brownies are cooled, pour ganache over the top and chill in the fridge for 10-15 minutes to set.
- Sprinkle the top with the crushed candy cane and cut into 16 brownies. Enjoy!
Yield: 16 brownies
Nutrition (per brownie with topping): 115 calories, 8 protein, 12 carbs, 4 fat, 2 fiber, 5 sugar