Apple Pie Protein Muffins
¾ cup (90g) self-rising flour*
1 ½ scoops (50g) BPN Vanilla Whey Protein Powder
½ tsp. Cinnamon
½ tsp. Apple pie spice
¼ tsp. Baking powder (add an extra ¾ tsp if NOT using self-rising flour)
1 whole egg
2 cups (425g) no sugar added apple pie filling
½ cup (13g) unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp. Vanilla extract
½ cup (40g) oats (quick or old fashioned)
2 tbsp. Flour
¼ cup (60g) brown sugar substitute (Swerve)**
1 tbsp. Light butter
*If using regular all purpose flour, add ¾ tsp baking powder and ¼ tsp salt.
**Swerve is a sugar substitute that has no glycemic effect. It can be found in the baking aisle, but if you can’t find it you can use regular brown sugar.
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Add dry ingredients (flour, protein powder, cinnamon, apple pie spice, and baking powder) to a large bowl. Mix.
- In a separate bowl whisk together egg, apple pie filling, applesauce, and vanilla extract. Combine wet and dry ingredients. Gently fold together until incorporated.
- Spray a muffin pan with nonstick spray. Scoop batter into 8 spots in the muffin tin.
- In a separate bowl, mix together crumble ingredients. Top each muffin with about 1-2 tbsp of the crumble topping.
- Bake at 350F for about 15-18 minutes or until a knife comes out clean. Let cool and enjoy!
Yield: 8 muffins
Nutrition (per muffin w/ crumble): 120 calories, 7 protein, 19 carbs, 2 fat, 2 fiber, 5 sugar